RICHARD MILLE – LE MANS CLASSIC 2014
The 7th Le Mans Classic will take place on July 4, 5 and 6. Richard Mille will once again be there as Main Partner and Official Timekeeper of the race. Richard Mille has supported this competition since the very first event in 2002.
This retrospective of the “24 Heures du Mans” is the chance for thousands of car enthusiasts to meet around the Bugatti track. Le Mans Classic revives more than 80 years of automobile sport history by bringing back the cars and the pilots who created the legend of the most famous race in the world on the great 13 kilometer Le Mans circuit.
As a tribute to this exceptional race, Richard Mille has introduced a limited edition watch, the RM 030 Le Mans Classic, the fourth piece to carry the name of the competition. It is fitting that a company like Richard Mille, famous for their cutting-edge technology are linked to this legendary race meet.
For this automatic winding caliber, Richard Mille developed a rotor that would prevent overwinding thanks to its capacity to automatically disconnect from the rotor’s winding mechanism when the spring is fully wound. Additionally, this new mechanism is linked to the power reserve indicator placed at 9 o’clock to provide an optimal winding control with the best ratio of constant torque/power.
The RM 030 LMC also has a 24 hours display placed at 2 o’clock. The indication “16” references to the depart time of the endurance race, is a discrete homage to the event.
The RM 030 LMC displays the colors of the historic race inside of its movement as well as its white ATZ ceramic case and with the rubber of the NTPT® crown. This special edition will be a limited series of a 100 pieces.
Seen it all before? Well, to be honest I am finding it more and more difficult to get excited when I see a new Richard Mille release. I am a huge fan of this brand however I would love to see something different coming to the market. Obviously if something works then you stick with it, however, a wider fan base would reap great rewards for this watchmaker and bring it a wider audience, and deservedly so.
technical specifications of the RM 030 Le Mans Classic
– Automatic winding movement
– Power reserve: circa 55 hours
– Baseplate, bridges and balance cock in grade 5 titanium
– Declutchable rotor with variable geometry
– Winding indicator
– Date display
– Free sprung balance with variable inertia
– Double barrel system
– Balance: Glucydur, 4 arms, inertia moment 4.8 mg cm2, angle of lift 53º
– Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
– Spline screws in grade 5 titanium for the case and the bridges
– Interior flanges in carbon fiber
– Torque limiting crown in NTPT® carbon
– Baseplate and bridges in hand-ground grade 5 titanium, wet sandblasted, Titalyt® treated
– Sapphire blasted and hand-drawn surfaces
Press release courtesy of Richard Mille